This is a fun throwback to a fantastic recipe that my husband, Sol, introduced me to in the early days of our dating life. The video below shows us making it in 2013 using a regular ready made pie crust. To make this even lower in carb you can make this crustless, or go with a sugar free ready made pie crust. This makes for a delicious and diabetic friendly dessert. We have brought this dessert to several pot lucks and it is definitely a hit for our diabetic friends, as well as anyone who enjoys a light, fluffy, and refreshing dessert.
Note: You can make your own keto sugar free pie crust with coconut or almond flour, butter, salt as sugar substitute (Stevia, Erythritol or Monkfruit). Remeber this dessert is not fully keto because of other ingredients in the Jello such as aspartame and maltodextrin, and Cool Whip Sugar Free whipped toppings used sucralose (Not keto but is accepted is a diabetic replacement sugar for some).
To make this keto the gelatin must not contain aspartame or maltodextrin … both of which are in Jell-o. Also be aware that sugar free whipped toppings contain sucralose (Splenda) which is low carb but not fully accepted as sugar replacement by keto purists. Consider making your own whipped toppings using heave cream, and an approved sweetener.
Video from 2013 – Low Carb Strawberry No Bake Dessert
- 1 packet Sugar Free Jell-o Strawberry Gelatin
- 8 oz Cream Cheese or Neufchatel Cheese
- 1 to 2 – 8 oz tubs Sugar Free Cool Whip
- 1 cup diced strawberries and extra for garnish
- 1 Ready Made Crust – For diabetics use low sugar or sugar free crust, or consider crustless
- Add full packet of sugar free strawberry gelatin to 1 cup of water and whisk until well combined.
- In a separate bowl combine cream cheese or Neufchatel cheese with 2 cups of Cool Whip. Blend together using electric hand mixer with whisk attachment.
- Once the cream mixture is combined carefully/slowly add the gelatin to the bowl and whisk until well combined and smooth. Remember to scrape the bowl half way through to ensure ingredients are well combined.
- Pour the strawberry cream batter into your Ready made crust. Add strawberry pieces into the batter and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- The pie will be the consistency of cheesecake with a slight giggle.
- With the remainder of the Sugar Free Cool Whip on top of the pie. I like to use a piping bag for this add the whipped toppings. You can garnish with a few more sliced strawberries.