Buttery curry sweetened with sugar substitute. Inspired by Varun Inamdar’s YouTube Recipe for Butter chicken
Butter Chicken (Sweet Curry)
1 lb Boneless Chicken thigh or breast
1 Tbsp Ginger Paste
1 Tbsp Garlic Paste
2 Tbsp Kashmiri chilli powder or Paprika
1/2 Red Onion
4 Roma Tomatoes
1/2 tsp Garam Masala
1tsp Kasoori Methi
2 Tbsp Malt Vinegar or White Vinegar
1 Tbsp Kashmiri Chili Powder
1 tsp Garlic Paste
1 tsp Ginger Paste
2 oz Raw Cashew Unsalted
4 Tbsp Heavy Cream
5 Tbsp Butter
3 Tbsp Sugar Substitute
- Cut chicken into bite size pieces and add ginger paste, garlic paste and Kashmiri Chili powder or paprika and salt and allow it to marinate for 15 minutes.
- Heat avocado oil in pan to medium high heat and sear the chicken pieces on both sides (at least 1 min to 90 sec) on each side. Set remove from pan and place in aluminum foil to keep them warm and continue the cooking process.
- In the pan used to sear chicken, add the onions and butter. Once onions are transparent add tomatoes and cashew nuts.
- Add water, garlic paste, malt vinegar, salt, sugar (substitute), garam masala, chili powder and mix.
- Mix together and allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Blend the ingredients until smooth
- Strain the puree back into the pot and press to release the curry and to strain out the cashew and tomato pulp
- Heat pan to a low simmer. Add remaining butter and heavy cream. Then add back the cooked chicken pieces and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Garnish with cream and kasoori methi and cilantro
Serve with cauliflower rice. Keeps very well.
Inspired by Varun Inamdar’s Recipe on YouTube. I simply converted it to a low carb version by changing out the regular sugar with sugar substitute. I also increased the quantity of the chicken so there would be less tomato per serving to curry and added more butter/cream to increase the fat content.
To make this even more low carb consider reducing the amount of onion and tomatoes or switching the cashews for almonds.
While I would not consider this to be a keto recipe recipe I would definitely consider it to to be a lower carb alternative to to regular sweet butter chicken.