Makes 4 Large Servings
- 1 lb ground beef or preferred protein
- 1 head of thinly shredded Nappa cabbage
- 1/2 red onion sliced long
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 5 cloves chopped garlic or garlic paste
- 1 inch chopped ginger or ginger paste
- 4 TBSP Fish Sauce
- 4 TBSP Coco Aminos (Soy Sauce Replacement)
- 4 TBSP Rice Wine Vinegar
- Fresh Basil Chopped (Thai Basil if possible)
- Crushed Red Chili Pepper Flakes (opt)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Fresh Cilantro Chopped
- Fresh Mint
- Fresh Chives or Scallions (Green Onion)
- Fresh Lime Juice
- Siracha Sauce
- Toasted Sesame Seeds
- Brown the meat on its own or in a tbsp of fat/oil.
- After browning add onions, peppers , garlic, ginger and stir fry for 3 minutes.
- Saute for 3 minutes. Add cabbage.
- Add fish sauce, Coco aminos, vinegar cook for 2 more minutes.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 10 minutes tossing occasionally. Continue to cook until the cabbage is at your preferred tenderness level. Adjust salt and pepper and spices to preference.
- Cook out as much liquid as you can. Uncover and cook if needed stirring occasionally.
- Optional – When ready to serve, add fresh lime juice and (optional) fresh cilantro, mint, chives/scallions, toasted sesame seeds. Add Siracha a few dabs at a time for additional flavor and heat
You can substitute ground beef with your preferred protein. If you are using leaner meat such a turkey or chicken, please saute in oil to add additional fat, as these meats contain little fat.
We uses Nappa Cabbage because it’s flavor has a nice bite to it. You can also use a regular head of green cabbage.
This recipe contains onions, garlic, and bell peppers which are used in limited quantity and avoided by some on strict keto. Those who have restriction to veggies in the “nightshade” family should adjust to align with your preferred method of keto.
This recipe is definitely low card high fat (LCHF). The added carbs from veggies are totally acceptable for Dirty Keo/Lazy Keto. As someone on maintenance I am willing to take in the extra carbs because they are coming from veggies such as the cabbage.
When selecting ingredients, go for those that do not contain MSG, Maltodextrin, Sugar. While the sauces used in this recipe do have carbs, much of it gets cooked off.